Could past marijuana use affect me getting the permit?

orangep
orangep
Back in June, I stopped smoking the plant after a month and a half of binging on it. I know that it stays in your system for a while(yes, longer than 2 weeks) if you have used it as much as I did, which was a few joints a day every day. It was a stupid thing to do, but back then I had no plans to go to Canada for work as I only got offered the job in June and stopped immediately after got hired.

Today, I went to the VAC to get my form for the medical exam as I decided to do it before I get the request. The test is tomorrow, and I have stayed away from the drug. However, upon doing research, I found the questionnaire form that they ask and question 13 is Have you ever been ADDICTED to alcohol or a drug, or taken drugs illegally? It is ILLEGAL in my country of residence. On one hand, if I answer "yes" and tell the truth, they decide to test me and I test positive for the reasons mentioned above, I could be criminally inadmissible for breaking the law in the country I am currently residing in. If I answer "no" and they do decide to test me, I would be lying and become inadmissible either way.

I'd like to know what you did in this situation/any advice you have on what I should do? Maybe some honest reassurances...Will the urine test include secret drug testing? The form that I got does not state any drug testing. It just says Full Medical Exam, x-rays, HIV and syphilis testing.
David
David
There is no simple answer to a question such as this, other than to respond truthfully. My personal opinion is that - from a purely immigration perspective - the long-term damage that would be done from an accusation of misrepresentation would be worse than the long-term damage from admission to use of Marijuana.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.