Finding employment as a Foreign Worker

Kylee24
Kylee24
Hi! I am American. My boyfriend is from Montreal and I would like to move there to be with him. We have researched the types of immigration that canada offers and have realized that because we are not married, and don't want to force a marriage just for immigration purposes. We don't qualify for conjugal partner and although have been together for over a year have not lived together, but think that we are ready to take the step. We would like to live together in Canada for the next year and then apply for common-law sponsorship, but the problem is I can't work up there. I am willing to take any job just to be with him, but i'm confused on how to locate companies that are hiring temporary foreign workers. Any suggestions of how to find these jobs, besides blind applying? I've had so many jobs tell me they don't hire foreign workers even though the job posting is on "work in canada" website. Also, can i legally say that I live in Canada with my boyfriend without being a permanent resident or citizen? Im so confused, the more I research the more confused I am. Help!
David
David
Online resources such as Monster.ca, workopolis.com, and many more like these are often the best place to start. Your level of success with such an approach will be dependent on your ability to locate an employer that has been unable to fill a specific position and has a high level of need. The common process of seeking a [url=http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/hrsd.html]Labour Market Opinion[/url] for such an employer means that a position that can be easily filled in Canada is not likely to be offered or approved for a foreign worker.

Of course, for a US national, there are exemptions from the LMO process in some cases. You may wish to review the details of the NAFTA provisions, as well as the swap.ca site referring to youth programs.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.