Open work permit - Contractor?

natzurena
natzurena
Good evening, I've been in Calgary since march and I have an open work permit as my husband is the work permit holder, back in my country I have a Marketing Degree and an MBA in international business and used to work as an employ but got to do some marketing consulting for other companies.

Here in Calgary I've been offered a Marketing Consulting position but as a contractor, can I get a GST number as a Sole proprietorship if Im not a resident I only have an open work permit.

What else do I need to know besides pay my taxes before making this decision?
David
David
From a strictly immigration perspective, you must only ensure that the work that you will perform is not specifically excluded on your open work permit. Such exclusion would ordinarily only occur in such a case as the occupation is subject to the requirement of a medical examination and the candidate had not undertaken such an examination. There are possibly issues governing the practice of a business in Calgary that need to be considered, but these are outside of the scope of this forum.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.