Easing the legal admission of professionals, business persons, and skilled workers


Spouses/Partners of Bridge Work Permit Holders

In December of 2012, CIC announced provisions for bridging open work permits to temporary foreign workers who had been approved in an economic class permanent resident application. The department has now issued clarification as to when a spousal partner (which may include common law partners) may become eligible for an open work permit on the basis of the principal foreign worker’s bridge work permit.

The following conditions allow the spouse of an open bridging work permit to seek an open work permit:

  • Federal Skilled Workers: the principal foreign worker must be performing work which is classified as high-skill (NOC 0, A, or B).
  • Provincial Nominees: the spouse may seek an open work permit for the same duration as that of the principal applicant for all skill level occupations.
  • Federal Skilled Trades: the principal foreign worker must be performing work consistent with one of the qualifying (NOC Skill Level B) occupations.
  • Canadian Experience Class: There are no limiting factors in this category.
  • As a side consideration, dependent children of such an Economic Class applicant, must obtain a Labour Market Opinion or otherwise be eligible for an exemption from such in order to seek a work permit.
Date Posted: September 25, 2013 Posted In: Temporary Work Permits

Tags: ,