Holders of a valid skilled worker Certificats du selection du Québec (CSQ), who reside in the province of Quebec, and who have filed an application for permanent residence are now permitted to seek renewal of existing work permits without the requirement of a new Labour Market Opinion (LMO). Such a work permit will be granted for a maximum duration of two years or the duration of the offer of employment, whichever is less.
The LMO would have otherwise required that the Quebec employer demonstrate that there is a neutral or positive labour market impact as a result of the employment of such a foreign worker. In most cases, this is based on a recruiting effort, other than for certain occupations for which that province presently allows exemptions.
To be eligible for these provisions, the CSQ holder must meet at least one of the followiing requirements:
- is seeking to extend their WP for their existing employer in Quebec;
- is seeking to renew their current work permit with a new Quebec employer;
- is a foreign student who has obtained a post-graduation work permit and who has a job offer in Quebec; or
- is a work permit holder through participation in one of the following programs under the Programme de l’expérience international canadienne (EIC)
- Stage Jeune professionnel de 18 mois;
- Stage Coop.